When one breast is bigger or different than than the other breast, it is called the Breast Asymmetry.
It is normal for the body to have minor asymmetries in its double organs. Indistinct asymmetries are very common, especially in the breasts, regardless of a person’s gender. In some cases, breasts’ difference may reach more prominent and uncomfortable dimensions and may adversely affect a person's psychology. Breast asymmetry may occur due to many different reasons.
The Reasons For Breast Asymmetry
- As the breasts develop during puberty, one breast can develop and grow faster than the other. With the effect of excessive emotion in adolescence, his situation can lead to serious psychological problems. If the asymmetry between the breasts is very large and the person is psychologically affected, surgery may be performed before the age of 18.
- In this case, it may be preferable to enlarge the underdeveloped breast with a prosthesis if the overgrown breast is in the adult breast standards.
- If the underdeveloped breast is in the adult breast standards and the overdeveloped breast is larger than the normal breast size, it may be preferable to carry out a breast reduction procedure to equalise the size of the breasts.
- After pregnancy and breastfeeding, the breasts may not shrink at the same rate.
- After an excessive loss of weight, the breasts may not shrink at the same rate.
- After an excessive gain of weight, the breasts may not grow at the same rate.
- At older ages, disproportion may occur due to the diseases experienced in a single breast.
- Breast asymmetry may occur as a result of a surgical treatment for cancer.
- The breasts lose their volume with age and this may lead to asymmetry.
Asymmetric Breast Surgery
In asymmetric breast surgeries, different methods and techniques may be used.
While the overgrown breast may be minimised in some cases, undergrown breasts may be enlarged with a prosthesis.
In some cases, a reduction procedure may be carried out on one breast, and an enlargement with prostheses on the other.
In cases where the degree of asymmetry is not so different, it may be preferable to use fat cells from the person's own body instead of a prosthesis to correct the asymmetry.
The asymmetries on the nipples can also be corrected, while the shape and the size of the breasts are equalized.
Breast asymmetry surgery can be performed under general or local anesthesia.
If there are not too many tissues to be removed during the operation, milk channels are not damaged.
The Period After The Breast Asymmetry Surgery
Depending on the doctor's decision after the surgery, the person may be discharged on the same day or stay in the hospital for 1 night.
After a few days of rest at home, the patient can easily return to her normal life.She can take a shower 2 days after the surgery.
After the breast asymetry surgery, the swelling of the breasts begin to go down after 1 week. The scars of the aesthetic stitiches applied are going to be in the form of a thin line and they will become almost invisible over time